
Is it just me, or does it seem like flu season is starting early this year? My kids have had little viruses, bacterias, stomach flues, etc the last month or so. A couple weeks ago I took Aspen to the doctor for a high fever and sore throat. She also had a rash on her chest. Her throat culture came back positive for strep. I opted for the first time to go with the shot instead of the oral medicine because the doctor told me it would kick in faster, and she would start feeling better sooner. I figured this was the best option since I had to be in Salt Lake exactly twenty four hours later to see my bro fly home from his mission.
Aspen must have heard me tell the doctor we would go with the shot because she immediatley clung to me for dear life and kept saying, "I want to go home mommy". I felt so guilty knowing I could have saved her from the pain of the shot had I opted for the medicine. I had to help hold her down as they gave her the shot in her upper thigh. I kept thinking about the one time in my life that I had had a penicilin shot, and how painful it had been. I tried to hold back the tears as she cried in pain.
It was a relief when it was over. We had to wait in the doctor's office for fifteen minutes to make sure she wouldn't have a reaction. We called Daddy on his cell phone, and Aspen cried and told Jared that she didn't want any more shots. Jared told her that he would spank the doctor's butt if he tried to give Aspen any more shots. After Aspen was done crying to her daddy, she handed the phone to me. He told me how sad their phone conversation had been. I didn't know if he was going to cry, or if he was reprimanding me for opting to go with the shot. He is such a teddy bear when it comes to his little girl :)
After we got home, Grandma Jody came to see Aspen and brought her a Dora watch and a necklace. Aspen loves Dora, and she was thrilled to see her Nana Jody :) Here are some pictures that I took at home later that day.
BTW--Aspen was feeling MUCH better the next day. I couldn't believe how she had improved in just one day. I guess the shot was a good choice afterall :) (Does that mean I am an evil mom?)

Aspen trying to be a good sport

Aspen happy about her new watch

Aspen with her sticker on a stick--She got at the doctor's office for being such a good girl :)




10 comments:
I had to do that with my nephew once. He was staying with me while my sister was on vacation and had a really bad ear infection. I'm still not sure he'll ever forgive me. I will always opt for the shot though, because my kids are almost worse about taking meds and it does kick in so much quicker. No, you're not a bad mom. Just get her tonsils out soon, then you won't have to deal with it anymore! I'm a huge tonsil out advocate since this summer. Good luck!
poor aspen! i hate it when i have to give little kids shots! it's the worst feeling. but i guess if it makes them feel better...it's worth it. and i know the shot works alot faster, so you're not an evil mom!
I think you did the best thing. One shot is so much easier than gross medicine for ten days. I hate the winter season just because I know sickness is approaching. Ashtyn gets strep a couple of times every year-she gets her tonsils and adenoids out in two weeks! Hopefully Aspen won't get it again. Dora always helps everything, huh? Avery (2) fell and scraped her knees yesterday and came in crying and said "I need Dora to help make my knees happy". Gotta love it!
dany it! lacie always use to get strep and have to have that stupid shot in the behind.. sad! hope she is feeling better! she is beautiful becca! but that is not a surprise at all!
Poor girl! She is so beautiful, even when she's sick. I would've done the shot too. BTW- congrats on your brother coming home.
I think it is harder for the parents to see the shot being given to your little ones than the actual shot! I would have done the same thing. Good thing there are things like "Dora and daddy's" to ease the pain! Hayley
jared and bec- how are you guys? i am sorry hear about your little girl getting sick- i used to get this all the time- NO FUN FOR SURE! and the shot- the WORST! your little family is adorable! keep in touch!
Sorry to hear about little Aspen getting sick, that is so hard. Bridger has been sick once and I felt so bad. It was good to see you at the fair. I remember seeing Aspen when she was little, your mom used to bring her to the bank all the time. They have grown up so fast. I love all the pictures of your brother coming home that is such a exciting experience.
Your blog is too cute!! (this is Beccka Marley from church by the way LOL) I didnt know there was a shot for strep!!!!!!!!!! Geez...I just had 2 kids with it!!! Good job mom!!!!
I always hate having to hold them down. That part kills me. I'm glad she's feeling better. She is such a beautiful little girl!
ps. are you running Sat? ;)
(COME ON!!!)
Post a Comment